Wednesday 4 February 2015

Scottish Greens Will Split The Yes Vote For Westminster

We are going through some amazing times right now with the advent of political more awareness and activism throughout Scotland after the referendum. An unfortunate part of this, as the Scottish Greens get more popular and more people become aware of their existence, is that they become more of a threat to the incumbent political machinery and those parties that are already a major part of it.

One of the major arguments that seems prevalent, especially on social media, is that the Scottish Greens will split the vote of the SNP. I read a great answer to that today from one of our candidates for the Westminster election, Zara Kitson. In fact since I couldn't say it better myself I'll just let you read it and make up your own mind.




"Be passionate about your cause - we need people passionate about change now more than ever - but that passion shouldn't set out to disempower others. My passion for change is just as valid as yours. And my party and movement is also just as valid as yours. My party came to a democratic decision to field candidates in all constituencies in Glasgow, which means we need folks to stand (obvs) - and it happens that I am one of few folks with experience of standing, and recognise that my voice as a young, working class, female is one that needs represented in our politics, and is just as relevant and equal as anyone else's. Including other candidates from other parties.

This election will be won on the virtues of those who connect most with people, and demonstrate an alternative to the status quo politics of ego, male dominance and power over principle.

I look forward to a positive campaign that focusses on the real issues and does not revert to point scoring, hate fuelled, attacking politics. I look forward to us all bringing democracy alive again as we each passionately connect with the public through our principles, policies and vision for the future.

We should not be afraid of that difference or try to silence it. It's what makes for good decisions and it's what makes for a healthy democracy (which is surely a commonality we're all working for).

Scottish greens have an important role to play in shaping the debate of this election and ensuring a strong voice for a different kind of economics and democracy is heard - one that strongly rejects the agenda of austerity and speaks for the many disenfranchised groups that our current politics systematically ignores.

Political parties pull each other left and right through campaigns and debate. Until we have a fully participative democracy, we work with representative democracy - which is in the form of political parties - using campaigns and debate to define what's important. I represent a different voice to those who are standing to represent SNP, Labour, or any other party.

The whole point of the referendum was to move away from two horse race politics, and from my perspective, to open up a paradigm shift of a more mature, collaborative way of living and being. We won't ever build the new by repeating patterns of the past.

It's very naive and dangerous of folks to think that the SNP (a political party, not a movement) is the cure of all ills and until they reign in power everyone else should just put up an shut up. This is a typical narrative of old school, patriarchal politics - 'we know best'. That's what the eton boys say.

Always good to check your privilege. I check mine regularly, esp the further I get in to politics.

I joined the greens to be part of a political party and join a connected global movement for change - before the referendum was even announced. I am well aware of the landscape of this election and the greens place in it - and have made a fully informed decision to stand up and be counted on behalf of Scottish Greens and the people of Scotland. I don't need validation from anyone, just a mandate from members of Scottish Greens - which I have been given.

If I connect with even one person who gets to think about voting green - and more importantly - connect with young people, women and ordinary folks who get to see themselves reflected in politics and see that it is for them - then that's success enough for me.

This is what democracy looks like, and I will passionately defend it, always.

If anyone wants to constructively challenge my position on anything, I'm happy to engage in dialogue - direct message works. I am not prepared to engage in any prolonged tit for tat on a Facebook comment thread.

There's too much work to be done to solve the economic, humanitarian and ecological crises on our hands for that.

*rolls up sleeves*"

No comments:

Post a Comment